Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Netflix Top 100 - 22. - The Notebook


I wanted to hate this movie, but I didn't. Truthfully, I have actually read some of Jonathan Sparks sappy pap, which is all too poorly written and mostly crap.  Hey that rhymes.  But despite my recticence and abhorrance for his work, this book and the subsequent movie are good.  I believe because he based the book and film on a real life romance and through in the same themes from "It's A Wonderful Life", one of my favorite movies.

In the beginning of the film we Duke(James Garner) and Allie Calhoun (Gena Rowlands) in a rest home where Duke is reading a story to Allie.  The story surrounds the lives of a young couple Allie and Noah and their subsequent romance.  At this point the movie flashes back to a young Allie (Rachel McAdams) and her lover Noah (Ryan Gosling) and their chance meeting at a carnival.  The two become romantically involved over the summer, but as the romance heats up, Allie's over protective parents put a stop to it.  Allie is shipped off to New York for college and Noah leaves for the army.  He writes her everyday but Allie's mother hides the letters.

During the war Allie signs on as a nurse for wounded soldiers and meets Lon (James Marsden), a well to do lawyer and a fine pick for Allie's parent as a potential suitor.  He quickly asks her to marry him and as the two are engaged Noah moves back in to town to fix up a beautiful mansion the two lovers shared during their tryst years ago.  Noah invites Allie to come check out the house and the romance is rekindled.  I won't reveal anymore so I don't spoil it for you.

A well acted and thought out romance, I think the characters drew me in, and I found myself rooting for Noah.  It is always a rich versus poor mentality that audiences love and this movie is no exception.  It spurs on the ideal that love conquers all.  Definitely Queue It.

No comments:

Post a Comment